Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Picking up another CSer and heading to Maine

Monday (9/10/09), Ofri and I woke up the earliest we ever had to head to Boston and pick up Drew, another CSer. After rendezvousing with him we hit the road heading to Maine, without directions of course. We arrived in Bar Harbor and had still not heard from our host, so we went to the park, walked around the small downtown area and the harbor, did some head stands, took some pictures and ate dinner.Then I drove to the Seawall to see it and check out the campground nearby, it was full but the view was great.

We then drove to a private campground just around the corner, also called the Seawall Campground and this guy holding a beer lead Ofri back and forth, back and forth then finally had us follow him to a site. We set up my two person tent and the three of us slept snugly our first night together. At least I can say none of us were cold!
We woke up kind of early, packed up and headed out to hike Precipice Trail. I hiked it in a skirt and sandals, luckily I was wearing some pants under the skirt otherwise I would have flashed a lot of people.
After the hike we went to the beach, Ofri got in the water of course but it was too cold for me and there were no other Floridians making me feel like a wusss for not getting in so I opted to just get my feet wet and take a nap. Following the beach we went to Thunder Hole, since there wasn't a storm or waves it wasn't making the "thunder" sound it usually does, I guess. We climbed around on the rocks watched the other tourists and headed to Otter Point. Sat on some more rocks, watched the water, looked for otters then decided to head out. We drove to the top of Cadillac Mountain, took in the view quickly, it was overcast, windy and a little chilly, but beautiful. On our way to Bangor, Drew received a call from Adam a CSer in Orono who offered to host us, so we took off towards Orono. Adam and his house mates were wonderful, as soon as they heard we were coming they began preparing a meal that included locally grown potatoes and green beans and locally made cheese they had received in exchange for manual labor and Adam had run to town and gotten some growlers of a local beer. We all shared a meal, stories, laughs and music. It was his first time hosting with CS, and he got three of us and was a very gracious host, we could not have asked for more!
A little side note, ever since I was a little girl and had read: Sarah, Plain and Tall I had wanted to visit or move to Maine, my almost life long dream has been fulfilled and hey maybe I will move there one day.

No comments: