Monday, August 10, 2009

Stamford CT and the Renissance Faire in Tuxedo NY


Saturday we drove to Stamford CT just north of NYC to stay with, Micah, a friend of Ofri's who had been a volunteer solider in Israel and had lived in her Kibbutz. My first glance around I noticed all these amazing drums and hand made instruments, beautiful. Then I noticed the rocks and asked if he collected, he said "no, I'm not that nerdy, I was kind of nerdy, making candles and jewelry when I was younger but I don't collect rocks." I told him "I do, I love rocks and I make jewelry, it was my job for three years in college." Later that night when I showed him all my rocks I've brought on the journey I got him to admit he collects rocks too : ) Anyway, Micahs father had prepared a delicious meal so we sat out on the back deck, ate, had great conversation with him and his family all while overlooking the harbor. I'm sure the conversation was interesting although I can not remember it and I think a lot may have been in Hebrew. Micah then took us out to downtown Stamford to a club to meet up with some of his friends from high school. Boy did this club take me back to high school, girls in three inch heels wearing skin tight clothing shaking their booties all looking the exact same and boys with popped collars and glow sticks ahhh the memories of sneaking into these joints at seventeen and getting as drunk as possible before sneaking back into someones parents house. Ofri and I ended up leaving them and walking around the downtown area, we then stoped at the "crappy" diner, Micah pointed out earlier, for hot chocolate made with coffee, followed by an excursion to his friends house in the middle of the city on a street where only their house stands surrounded by state owned land and a beautiful garden from what I could see in the dark. The following day we went to the Renaissance Faire, I've never seen someone so excited about this type of thing but wow, was he excited. Swords and all, said it was better then Six Flags, not sure what he was doing at Six Flags but I sure as hell love roller coasters and I didn't see any there. The highlight for me was the Aerialists performing out of a tree! But now I can check the Renaissance Faire off my things to do/see....even though it was never on there in the first place. All in all, I'm grateful that this kind family took me in and gave me a place to sleep, shower and eat! Oh and the father, Jeff plays a magical bamboo flute!! Very talented and I was graced with two songs.

No comments: